Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,523x in 1,193 Posts
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked out the great book; Deadly Secrets by Hinckel and Turner for the 3hd time. It is all about the War against Castro and the CIA and JFK asassination!
    I highly reccomend it to all! You wont be able to put it down!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,146x in 54,319 Posts
    Mentioned
    2003 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'll Take My Stand: The South and the Agrarian Tradition.

This book of essays was published in 1930 at the height of the Southern Agrarian movement. It's a look back at the Southern tradition and forward to what the future might hold. What surprised me was nothing written was in the least racist. Essays like Danoaldson "Introduction: The Southern Agrarians and their Cultural Wars," Ransom's "Reconstructed but Unregenerate," and Lanier's "A Critique of the Philosophy of Progress" are declarations against progress, industrialization, and capitalism--they remind me of European traditionalists to whom they refer. Robert Penn Warren's "The Briar Patch" looked with respect to the black man in the same predicament as the white small farmer--a short quote will suffice:

At present the $#@! frequently fails to get justice, and justice from the law is the least that he can demand for himself or others can demand for him. It will be a happy day for the South when no court discriminates in its dealings between the $#@! and the white man, just as it will be a happy day for the nation when no court discriminates between the rich man and the poor man; and the first may be a more practicable ideal than the second. . . [The] least that can be desired in behalf of the $#@! is than any regulation shall apply equitably to both him and the white man.
    I highly recommend reading thxis to find out what Southern conservatives actually thought at the time.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,146x in 54,319 Posts
    Mentioned
    2003 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    At last finished Dorothy Scarborough's The Wind! A short over that seemed to last forever. I suppose because I don't like much psychological stories. But it is well written. The story of a young girl who had lived a luxurious and spoiled life till her parents died and she moved to Texas where her brother lived on a small ranch, a Texas of flat land, sand, wind and loneliness--contrasted with her previous life of luxury. You had to be a tough woman to survive.

I read it because I saw the 1928 movie "The Wind" with Lilian Gish. This trailer shows her arrival:

This is the ending:

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 807
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    bdtex's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 523x in 393 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD GUY IN FLORIDA View Post
    The last thing I read? The instructions and warnings for my new blood pressure medication
    You sound as motivated as me. I thought back in 2020, when lotsa places were closed, that I'd get a few more books read in 2020 than past years. It didn't happen. My reading actually tailed off and I haven't been able to make myself pick it back up. I go on out-of state trips in June and October every year mostly to visit Civil War sites. I read up on them in May and September...the other 10 months...not a thing.

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    OLD GUY IN FLORIDA's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,475x in 4,414 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtex View Post
    You sound as motivated as me. I thought back in 2020, when lotsa places were closed, that I'd get a few more books read in 2020 than past years. It didn't happen. My reading actually tailed off and I haven't been able to make myself pick it back up. I go on out-of state trips in June and October every year mostly to visit Civil War sites. I read up on them in May and September...the other 10 months...not a thing.

Actually, I was being facetious as I do in fact read a lot. Mostly crime novels but occasionally political commentary written by Conservative authors . I've read Atlas Shrugged several times and always pick up something new. As for magazines its either sail boating or motorcycle magazines. Most of my political and philosophical outlook come from Rand or Robert Heinlein,
    Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

Chris (03-14-2023)

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,772
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,956x in 12,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually, I was being facetious as I do in fact read a lot. Mostly crime novels but occasionally political commentary written by Conservative authors . I've read Atlas Shrugged several times and always pick up something new. As for magazines its either sail boating or motorcycle magazines. Most of my political and philosophical outlook come from Rand or Robert Heinlein,
    An interesting "what if" sort of sci-fi story by Larry Niven featured Heinlein as a character, and pays tribute to his political leanings in its last line It is worth looking up. It can be found in a 1992 collection of Heinlein's stories and tributes to him by other authors called 'Requiem'.

Heinlein was one of those sci-fi writers, along with Theodore Sturgeon, Philip Jose Farmer and others, who took advantage of greatly liberalized publishing standards in the '50s regarding sexual content, and unfortunately for his fans, in Heinlein's case he never really overcame a tendency toward prurience. In some of his later works, incest and child sex began to creep into some of the stories to an alarming and distasteful degree.

https://www.withoutthestate.com/panc..._heinlein.html
    "The first thing you want to do after being shot is make sure you are not shot again." - Ace Atkins

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

OLD GUY IN FLORIDA (03-14-2023)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    An interesting "what if" sort of sci-fi story by Larry Niven featured Heinlein as a character, and pays tribute to his political leanings in its last line It is worth looking up. It can be found in a 1992 collection of Heinlein's stories and tributes to him by other authors called 'Requiem'.

Heinlein was one of those sci-fi writers, along with Theodore Sturgeon, Philip Jose Farmer and others, who took advantage of greatly liberalized publishing standards in the '50s regarding sexual content, and unfortunately for his fans, in Heinlein's case he never really overcame a tendency toward prurience. In some of his later works, incest and child sex began to creep into some of the stories to an alarming and distasteful degree.

https://www.withoutthestate.com/panc..._heinlein.html
    Heinlein wrote a couple of books that left me wondering if he hadn't lost his mind. Specifically, "I will fear no evil" in which a young woman whose older boss is in love with has his brain implanted in her body after she is murdered. Also, I think it was Podkayne of Mars where the heroine said she would have had sex with her father if he so wanted. There was also one that was supposed to start around the turn of the last century where the girl spoke of a "french purse" and told how she seduced an older boy at the age of 13. He was getting somewhat rabbity in his old age.

Or am I running several stories together? I read them all but its been decades since I last did.
    Last edited by OLD GUY IN FLORIDA; 03-14-2023 at 09:27 PM.
    Devotion to the truth is the hallmark of morality; there is no greater, nobler, more heroic form of devotion than the act of a man who assumes the responsibility of thinking.
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (03-14-2023)

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,772
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,956x in 12,200 Posts
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Heinlein wrote a couple of books that left me wondering if he hadn't lost his mind. Specifically, "I will fear no evil" in which a young woman whose older boss is in love with has his brain implanted in her body after she is murdered. Also, I think it was Podkayne of Mars where the heroine said she would have had sex with her father if he so wanted. There was also one that was supposed to start around the turn of the last century where the girl spoke of a "french purse" and told how she seduced an older boy at the age of 13. He was getting somewhat rabbity in his old age.

Or am I running several stories together? I read them all but its been decades since I last did.
    You've obviously read more Heinlein than I have, and what I read of his I read more than thirty years ago. I mostly remember the pervasive sexual content of 'Stranger in a Strange Land' and a couple of other novels. From what I do recall, along with what I've read about his work by critics I respect, Heinlein seemed to equate freedom with open-minded sexual promiscuity in many if not most of his stories. With the notable exception of Philip Jose Farmer, few of his major league sci-fi contemporaries held on to the "free love '60s" for anywhere near as long in their work - not Asimov, J. G. Ballard, LeGuin, Herbert, P. K. Dick or even Vonnegut. And Ray Bradbury was never on the bandwagon to begin with.
    "The first thing you want to do after being shot is make sure you are not shot again." - Ace Atkins

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, I forgot about "A Door Into Summer' where in the end the hero of the story marries the 12 year old niece of his nemesis, although she is now 21 because of time travel. Still, the idea of his being in love with a 12 year old who waits for him for 9 years is a bit disconcerting to say the least.
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    You've obviously read more Heinlein than I have, and what I read of his I read more than thirty years ago. I mostly remember the pervasive sexual content of 'Stranger in a Strange Land' and a couple of other novels. From what I do recall, along with what I've read about his work by critics I respect, Heinlein seemed to equate freedom with open-minded sexual promiscuity in many if not most of his stories. With the notable exception of Philip Jose Farmer, few of his major league sci-fi contemporaries held on to the "free love '60s" for anywhere near as long in their work - not Asimov, J. G. Ballard, LeGuin, Herbert, P. K. Dick or even Vonnegut. And Ray Bradbury was never on the bandwagon to begin with.
    Bradbury's stories (other than Fahrenheit 451) read more like poetry than prose, especially his short stories.
    Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

14. The Following User Says Thank You to OLD GUY IN FLORIDA For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (03-14-2023)

+ Reply to Thread