midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not finished this yet but it is highly recommended if you are interested in understanding this time we live in and the world of viruses etc. Excellent and deeply human.

"This is a critical point in history. Time is running out to prepare for the next pandemic. We must act now with decisiveness and purpose. Someday, after the next pandemic has come and gone, a commission much like the 9/11 Commission will be charged with determining how well government, business, and public health leaders prepared the world for the catastrophe when they had clear warning. What will be the verdict?"

'Deadliest Enemy: Our War Against Killer Germs'

by Michael T. Osterholm, Mark Olshaker

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...eadliest-enemy

"Mother Nature is the greatest bioterrorist of them all, with no financial limitations or ethical compunctions."
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

3. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

stephenpe (08-09-2020)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say honestly, the replies above from republicans and conservatives are empty of content, curiosity, or even thought. But I guess that goes with the territory. A thoughtful republican below.

'It Was All A Lie'

'...he is simply telling us what he has seen firsthand. He helped to create the modern party that kneels before a morally bankrupt con man and now he wants nothing more than to see what it has become burned to the ground.'

'How The Republican Party Became Donald Trump'

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-was-all-a-lie

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...was-all-a-lie/
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

jet57 (06-29-2020),Orion Rules (02-14-2021),stephenpe (08-20-2020)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,474x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are no readers, midcan.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

stephenpe (08-20-2020)

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,406
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial25000 Experience Points
    stephenpe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,772x in 1,849 Posts
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    There are no readers, midcan.
    Reading these four pages where Midcan suggests books and authors and the rest try to belittle his thought using political jabs I was reminded of this character.

“I like to watch.” In uttering that line in the 1979 movie Being There, Chauncey Gardiner (Peter Sellers) was confessing his addiction to television. Now we have Donald Trump, who also likes to watch, except he watches Fox News and believes it; that gets him into trouble — witness the Comey hearings. Of course, Chauncey could neither read nor write, but his ignorance brought him great wealth and power. Sound familiar?
    I swear there was a scene where the guy interviewing him said what do you read and replied he doesnt. And the interviewer goes "right, no one has time to read"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenpe For This Useful Post:

midcan5 (06-21-2021)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,505x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Any Charles Bowden readers out there? If you get a chance read 'At the Peripheries of Violence and Desire'. Warning, Bowden is not for the faint of heart, you may find yourself changed. It appeared in Harper's Magazine 8/1998, one of the best magazines ever published. It is also in 'The Charles Bowden Reader'. Sexual violence - rape - is its topic and its complication. Read it, link below.

If you are a libertarian or other free market fantastic check out his wring on Mexico and the workers. Their pay, their hours, their deaths, again stay away if you want to remain a naive free marketer.

I loved his pieces on his pet rattlesnake Beulah or all the bats.

http://harpers.org/archive/1998/08/torch-song-2/

https://aeon.co/essays/in-memory-of-...d-a-sensualist

"He had the most interesting and original mind that I ever got to know well. It cut right through the conventional wisdom and surface veneer to the stark uncomfortable truth. His intellectual honesty compelled him to fully acknowledge the horrors and pointlessness of the human experiment in this world, but he never lost his sense of wonder or curiosity. Even as he catalogued the monstrous dystopias emerging from social and political collapse in Mexico, even as he prophesied the bleakest of futures for our ransacked planet, his love of life was undiminished – mainly because he could take such pleasure from the colour of a bird’s throat, the feel of a woman’s thigh under his fingertips, the rain falling like arrows on the desert as the sky convulsed in thunder." from essay above

Books

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-Bowde...=books&ie=UTF8
    https://www.amazon.com/Murder-City-C...=books&ie=UTF8

"Legalized drugs would cause dislocations in the US economy - the prison industry for example and tens of billions spent annually on drug enforcement. But because the US economy is so large, this would be a minor blow, hardly as severe as the ultimate nightmare for the US economy, global peace, which would shutter its death industry commonly called the military/industrial complex." Charles Bowden
    I've always enjoyed thinking for myself. You should try it occasionally
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-09-2020),TheOneOnly2 (08-10-2020)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I've always enjoyed thinking for myself. You should try it occasionally
    And that is why I read. Expand your vision.

"The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading." David Bailey

Earlier I mentioned that many republicans and Trump followers, "Act in such a way that [Trump} the Fuhrer, if he knew your action, would approve it." Hans Frank, quoted in Arendt's 'Eichmann in Jerusalem'. We saw that this past week.

I finished re-reading 'Eichmann in Jerusalem' recently and it still challenges. But as I noted in link below I wanted to check out 'Hitler's Willing Executioners' and wanted to see what he has to say. Had a copy for years now. The detail and analysis is amazing. Pages of footnotes, this will take some time. Enter it if you dare to think.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...g_Executioners

https://thepoliticalforums.com/threa...90#post3141790

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world." Arthur Schopenhauer

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 530
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,505x in 16,031 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    And that is why I read. Expand your vision.

"The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading." David Bailey

Earlier I mentioned that many republicans and Trump followers, "Act in such a way that [Trump} the Fuhrer, if he knew your action, would approve it." Hans Frank, quoted in Arendt's 'Eichmann in Jerusalem'. We saw that this past week.

I finished re-reading 'Eichmann in Jerusalem' recently and it still challenges. But as I noted in link below I wanted to check out 'Hitler's Willing Executioners' and wanted to see what he has to say. Had a copy for years now. The detail and analysis is amazing. Pages of footnotes, this will take some time. Enter it if you dare to think.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...g_Executioners

https://thepoliticalforums.com/threa...90#post3141790

"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world." Arthur Schopenhauer
    Keep that parrot fed ! Squawk!
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cotton1 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (01-15-2021),The Booman (01-15-2021)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    An interesting list I have never read. I'm just curious -- to you, how does any of it relate to politics? Kafka does, I think, but what little I know about Kafka is about all I want to know. Very creepy, IMHO. How much of our existence do you think can be framed in context of Kafka's interpretations?
    Politics intersects who we are as humans, all books relate to politics whether in substance or in relation to how we live and think, our values our goals our humanity. Franz is an interesting writer and obviously experienced life in a way most of us would find alien. Kafkaesque has even entered our vocabulary, but I wake preparing my morning coffee unlike Gregor. "A book must be the ax for the frozen sea within us." Franz Kafka

Still reading 'Willing....' and just enjoying the wonder of democracy, Joe won. Life is good. Enjoy it, be safe.

Another read below for those who think for themselves and do not follow blindly.

“I fear that we live in a world in which war and racism are ubiquitous, in which the powers of government mobilization and legitimization are powerful and increasing, in which a sense of personal responsibility is increasingly attenuated by specialization and bureaucratization, and in which the peer group exerts tremendous pressures on behavior and sets moral norms. In such a world, I fear, modern governments that wish to commit mass murder will seldom fail in their efforts for being unable to induce “ordinary men” to become their “willing executioners.”"

'Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland' by Christopher R. Browning

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/647492.Ordinary_Men

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attn Chris

How did the rich get so rich and the majority of people barely getting by. While this book is about 'now' it details how we got to 'now', Read it read it read it. Brilliant.

"What began as advertising is now a threat to freedom and democracy argues the author and scholar. Time to wake up - and fight for a different digital future"

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...igital-privacy

'High tech is watching you'

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...ing-democracy/

'You Are Now Remotely Controlled'

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/o...apitalism.html

Goodreads:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...nce-capitalism

"So he lent her books. After all, one of life's best pleasures is reading a book of perfect beauty; more pleasurable still is rereading that book; most pleasurable of all is lending it to the person one loves: Now she is reading or has just read the scene with the mirrors; she who is so lovely is drinking in that loveliness I've drunk." William T. Vollmann

17. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

stephenpe (03-03-2021)

+ Reply to Thread