Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,768x in 1,847 Posts
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    Never Trumpers wrote books and you organism over it.

Who cares?
    Never trumpers? bllshhttt. Many worked for him. Were appointed by him and even lauded by him early on. They saw the shttt show and told the truth. Keep your head in the sand if it helps you sleep. lmfao

midcan5 always does, @stephenpe almost always does.
    You mean we live to post in this CJ all day everyday. Got me there. I just look when I have time to see the new outrage or who to hate or boycott from the cultists..............

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,517x in 94,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Useless cultist emotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenpe View Post
    Never trumpers? bllshhttt. Many worked for him. Were appointed by him and even lauded by him early on. They saw the shttt show and told the truth. Keep your head in the sand if it helps you sleep. lmfao

You mean we live to post in this CJ all day everyday. Got me there. I just look when I have time to see the new outrage or who to hate or boycott from the cultists..............
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial25000 Experience Points
    stephenpe's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,768x in 1,847 Posts
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina73 View Post
    All deep state that were going to leave anyways. Some stayed just to try to screw up his Presidency.

When you threaten the jobs of big government then the reaction is going to be sabotage. Trump's one mistake was to not wipe out the staff and any resistors to change. Obama had him set up with left wing indoctrination. Can you actually call some of these people in the pentagon fighting men? They are puzzies.
    All that to just say "fake news" ? Cmon. Obviously your ability to read outside your ever shrinking box of "they are taking my Murica" has stolen any chance you could make a real objective look at reality regarding the idiotweeter............

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,895x in 54,713 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    All that to just say "fake news" ? Cmon. Obviously your ability to read outside your ever shrinking box of "they are taking my Murica" has stolen any chance you could make a real objective look at reality regarding the idiotweeter............
    All that just to say TDS?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (07-25-2021)

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,929
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    carolina73's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 43,642x in 28,237 Posts
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to give it to you. You just responded in the most meaningless, useless and incomprehensible way that I have seen in some time.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carolina73 For This Useful Post:

Chris (07-25-2021),Peter1469 (07-25-2021)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

read learn read

Update: 'Hoax' was an interesting read on the shenanigans going on in Fox media but 'Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents' by Isabel Wilkerson will really challenge you. Read it read read it. You will see life differently guaranteed.

Also 'Culture Warlords: My Journey Into the Dark Web of White Supremacy' by Talia Lavin is a deep look into the hate groups that occupy the web. I wasn't aware there was this much hate and white male insecurity.

I am going to read books below when I get a chance. Republican on his party and Conspiracy thinking which baffles me.

'It Was All a Lie: How the Republican Party Became Donald Trump' by Stuart Stevens

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-was-all-a-lie

'Republic of Lies: American Conspiracy Theorists and Their Surprising Rise to Power' by Anna Merlan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...public-of-lies

"The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading." David Bailey
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good stuff

"You don’t have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." Ray Bradbury

Reading for those who want to know and understand America and ??? today. I figured I'd repeat a few as most readers go to the end of a thread. A fascinating read I finished recently that is apolitical is Nomadland, by Jessica Bruder. It is about America today, an aspect of our times most don't see. The movie looks interesting but I doubt it can capture the crux of the issue. Check it out, another book that will change your view.

* 'Wildland: The Making of America's Fury' Evan Osnos

* 'Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents' Isabel Wilkerson

'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder

'Hiding in Plain Sight: The Invention of Donald Trump and the Erosion of America' Sarah Kendzior

'Republic of Lies: American Conspiracy Theorists and Their Surprising Rise to Power' by Anna Merlan

'Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth'

'Injustices: The Supreme Court's History of Comforting the Comfortable and Afflicting the Afflicted' Ian Millhiser

'Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Global Warming' Naomi Orestes, Erik M. M. Conway

If you only read one check asterisks.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    OLD GUY IN FLORIDA's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,846x in 4,620 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the only books worth reading are those that disparage the United States and are only read by pseudo intellectuals? Asking for a friend.

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,758
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    montana's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,147x in 3,093 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Some suggestions for reading in the new year, please be aware should you accept the challenge of reading a few of the books listed below you will be changed. Proceed with caution. Great Holiday gifts too for the thoughtful reader.

“One must be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” Cassandra Clare

Alpha order. Various topics.

'Don't Sleep, There Are Snakes: Life and Language in the Amazonian Jungle' by Daniel L. Everett
    'Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis' by J. D. Vance
    'Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain' David Eagleman
    'Merchants of Doubt' by Naomi Oreskes, Erik M. M. Conway
    'On Human Nature' by Edward O. Wilson
    'On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century' by Timothy Snyder
    'One of Us: The Story of a Massacre in Norway - and Its Aftermath' by Seierstad, Åsne and Sarah Death
    'Paul Farmer: Servant to the Poor' by Jennie Weiss Block
    'Prehistory: The Making Of The Human Mind' by Colin Renfrew
    'The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark' Carl Sagan
    'The Modern Mind: An Intellectual History of the 20th Century' by Peter Watson
    'The Rhetoric of Reaction: Perversity, Futility, Jeopardy' Albert O. Hirschman
    'The Unpersuadables: Adventures with the Enemies of Science' by Will Storr
    'Voltaire's Bas-tards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West' John Ralston Saul
    'World Without Mind: The Existential Threat of Big Tech' by Franklin Foer
    'Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance' By Robert Pirsig

Check Goodreads for reviews, many of the books are challenging and they will change you and change the way you see. Best of luck.

"The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading." David Bailey
    you forgot to mention IGNORANCE OF THE LEFT by midcan.It s great satire.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fellow Americans take note. 'How Democracies Die'

"Institutions become political weapons, wielded forcefully by those who control them against those who do not. This is how elected autocrats subvert democracy-packing and "weaponizing" the courts and other neutral agencies, buying off the media and the private sector (or bullying them into silence), and rewriting the rules of politics to tilt the playing field against opponents. The tragic paradox of the electoral route to authoritarianism is that democracy's assassins use the very institutions of democracy-gradually, subtly, and even legally-to kill it.

America failed the first test in November 2016, when we elected a president with a dubious allegiance to democratic norms. Donald Trump's surprise victory was made possible not only by public disaffection but also by the Republican Party's failure to keep an extremist demagogue within its own ranks from gaining the nomination.

How serious is the threat now? Many observers take comfort in our Constitution, which was designed precisely to thwart and contain demagogues like Donald Trump. Our Madisonian system of checks and balances has endured for more than two centuries. It survived the Civil War, the Great Depression, the Cold War, and Watergate. Surely, then, it will be able to survive Trump.

We are less certain. Historically, our system of checks and balances has worked pretty well-but not, or not entirely, because of the constitutional system designed by the founders. Democracies work best-and survive longer,-where constitutions are reinforced by unwritten democratic norms. Two basic norms have preserved America's checks and balances in ways we have come to take for granted: mutual toleration, or the understanding that competing parties accept one another as legitimate rivals, and forbearance, or the idea that politicians should exercise restraint in deploying their institutional prerogatives. These two norms undergirded American democracy for most of the twentieth century. Leaders of the two major parties accepted one another as legitimate and resisted the temptation to use their temporary control of institutions to maximum partisan advantage. Norms of toleration and restraint served as the soft guardrails of American democracy, helping it avoid the kind of partisan fight to the death that has destroyed democracies elsewhere in the world, including Europe in the 1930s and South America in the 1960s and 1970s.

Today, however, the guardrails of American democracy are weakening. The erosion of our democratic norms began in the 1980s and 1990s and accelerated in the 2000s. By the time Barack Obama became president, many Republicans, in particular, questioned the legitimacy of their Democratic rivals and had abandoned forbearance for a strategy of winning by any means necessary. Donald Trump may have accelerated this process, but he didn't cause it. The challenges facing American democracy run deeper. The weakening of our democratic norms is rooted in extreme partisan polarization-one that extends beyond policy differences into an existential conflict over race and culture. America's efforts to achieve racial equality as our society grows increasingly diverse have fueled an insidious reaction and intensifying polarization. And if one thing is clear from studying breakdowns throughout history, it's that extreme polarization can kill democracies.

There are, therefore, reasons for alarm. Not only did Americans elect a demagogue in 2016, but we did so at a time when .....

pps 8-9 'How Democracies Die' By Steven Levitsky And Daniel Ziblatt

Podcast: https://www.npr.org/2018/01/22/57967...eeper-problems

13. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

stephenpe (04-22-2022)

+ Reply to Thread