Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,470x in 36,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Thoughts on empire. The age of empires is done. The empires of Alexander, Monguls, Rome, Spain, France, England are long gone. Germany wanted it, so did Russia under communism. The US might be considered one but only a defacto one because there are no more superpowers. They've all broken up into nation states for ethnic nations, and continue to be--and people even in the US seek smaller states. History ended more or less in democracy.
    I'm not so sure. I see no reason to accept the liberal pretension that history is linear and closed. I'm not even sure what it means for history to end. Does that mean Western liberalism is the outcome of history? That would make prior imperialists blush. As for the US, it dominates by other means. It's also rather difficult to explain our global military presence and our frequent aggression (regardless of how it's justified...justification does not make us unique) outside the concept of empire.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,899x in 54,716 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I'm not so sure. I see no reason to accept the liberal pretension that history is linear and closed. I'm not even sure what it means for history to end. Does that mean Western liberalism is the outcome of history? That would make prior imperialists blush. As for the US, it dominates by other means. It's also rather difficult to explain our global military presence and our frequent aggression (regardless of how it's justified...justification does not make us unique) outside the concept of empire.
    Well, we have had discussions on the end of history and how that was announced before Islamic terrorism became a threat and we know China, while it has adopted capitalism, it hasn't adopted democracy. So, right, there's no real end to history.

The only arguement I have is the US is a defacto empire because there's no challenge, I mean, we have gone out an conquered the world--at least not militarily, perhaps economically.

Oh, I'm not so liberal as to believe in linear progress. Evolution is not designed.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Mister D (11-10-2017)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,470x in 36,445 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Well, we have had discussions on the end of history and how that was announced before Islamic terrorism became a threat and we know China, while it has adopted capitalism, it hasn't adopted democracy. So, right, there's no real end to history.

The only arguement I have is the US is a defacto empire because there's no challenge, I mean, we have gone out an conquered the world--at least not militarily, perhaps economically.

Oh, I'm not so liberal as to believe in linear progress. Evolution is not designed.
    I think perceiving history as always open is a non-ideological position whereas ideologies (in the modern sense of the term) always rely on some kind of determinism and posit a goal.

But the US (or liberal West) created a situation in which it had no rivals. Western liberals made an ally of their supposed nemesis to destroy the fascist challenge and then fought a series of costly proxy wars all over the globe for domination with their erstwhile ally.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

Chris (11-10-2017)

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Skull's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 183x in 111 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video interview on how Latin America has been infected by Communism:

https://www.theepochtimes.com/antone...a_3946604.html

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Skull's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 183x in 111 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now open in Washington DC is the Victims of Communism Museum. Hopefully many visitors, residents & workers in DC will visit and learn!

https://vocmuseum.org/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skull For This Useful Post:

Chris (06-13-2022),MisterVeritis (06-13-2022)

+ Reply to Thread