User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Supreme Court upholds Anti-Terrorism laws (Canada)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Supreme Court upholds Anti-Terrorism laws (Canada)

The Supreme Court of Canada today unanimously upheld the country's anti-terrorism law, rejecting an appeal from Momin Khawaja, the first person charged under the Anti-terrorism Act.

The top court on Friday also rejected the appeals of two men seeking to avoid extradition to the United States, where they are wanted on charges related to terrorism.

The top court justices ruled that violent acts are not protected under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The key issue in the appeals of Khawaja, and the two men seeking to avoid extradition, centred on the Anti-terrorism Act's motive clause, which states that terrorist activity is committed "in whole or in part for a political, religious or ideological purpose, objective or cause."

The three men argued the law has the effect of "chilling the exercise of freedom of expression, freedom of religion and freedom of association; and …it would legitimize law enforcement action aimed at scrutinizing individuals based on their religious, political or ideological beliefs."
    Supreme Court Upholds Anti-Terrorism Laws

Probably for the best, but there is a serious issue with the legislation which includes granting law enforcement similar abilities as the PATRIOT Act, which should be considered a violation of the rights of Canadians. Those measures should be removed from the legislation. Hopefully someone else who isn't a terrorist challenges the legislation on those grounds. Secret trials and similar crap shouldn't be tolerated.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Howey (08-31-2015),KC (12-14-2012)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,591x in 94,420 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the state exempts a class of action from full legal protection (in this case violent acts related to terrorism), what happens when the state charges undesirables with terrorism related crimes to cut corners?

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    patrickt's Avatar Senior Member
    Living in Oaxaca, Mexico, born in Memphis and worked in Colorado
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,009x in 3,481 Posts
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure whether the law is the problem or the people who enforce it.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/twin...-womb-17869074
    The video says the "explosives" might have been from fertilizer picked up on the wheelchair wheels. I believe the test is for nitrates which are also present in urine.

I hate flying now. I haven't in years. I was going through Houston the first time I was told to take my shoes off. I have a bum knee from a motorcycle wreck and asked if they had a place to sit. No. I managed to get my shoes off and left the checkpoint carrying shoes in my hand until I found a seat. I've watched them pulling elderly women out of line for a more thorough check. Didn't look suspicious to me.

Bottom line. They can do what they want. They're the federal government. They don't have to care. And, be sure and leave your bags unlocked so they can go shopping. Merry Christmas.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wrong link.

As for flying, I don't fly much anymore but for a few years I was flying on average maybe twice a week. Never had a problem getting through security. Never saw a problem with anyone getting through security.

My experience is no different than the experience of millions of other people.

The whining about airport security is politically driven, nothing more.
    my junk is ugly

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Adelaide (12-22-2012)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Wrong link.

As for flying, I don't fly much anymore but for a few years I was flying on average maybe twice a week. Never had a problem getting through security. Never saw a problem with anyone getting through security.

I tend to agree. Although I must admit that I don't fly much either I've never had a problem. That said, I rarely fly at peak hours. Maybe that makes a difference. On the other hand, Newark is a huge international airport and that is precisely where you would expect delays.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The three men argued the law has the effect of "chilling the exercise of freedom of expression, freedom of religion and freedom of association; and …it would legitimize law enforcement action aimed at scrutinizing individuals based on their religious, political or ideological beliefs."
    Liberty is a responsibility to if nothing else do no harm, and is protected to the point of your actions doing harm. These three are insane, and I don't mean that psychologically, but colloquially as utterly senseless.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,591x in 94,420 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fly a lot and I have had problems a few times (in Europe and the US). But I was polite and have a military ID. One time in Ireland my wife and I were pulled out at customs because of some VISA stamps from suspect countries. All she could tell them was that she works for the US government (at that time) and what she was doing is classified. They got a manager then I pulled out my military ID. We were on our way. I do get patted down a lot for some reason, but it doesn't bother me.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Wrong link.

I'm inclined to agree. I was flying a lot for my job and never encountered any problems. I even once asked if I could not remove my shoes because I was wearing ballet flats and no socks or stockings - they were fine with that, probably because I asked nicely.

No doubt, there are some pretty horrible cases that do happen, but millions of people fly without those problems.

Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Supreme Court Upholds Anti-Terrorism Laws

Probably for the best, but there is a serious issue with the legislation which includes granting law enforcement similar abilities as the PATRIOT Act, which should be considered a violation of the rights of Canadians. Those measures should be removed from the legislation. Hopefully someone else who isn't a terrorist challenges the legislation on those grounds. Secret trials and similar crap shouldn't be tolerated.
    W

We probably bullied you into it

+ Reply to Thread